|Posted:||about 1 year ago|
The position also involves JMO and student teaching and participation in service development for Emergency Medicine. Involvement in continuing medical education, peer review and quality improvement are also key requirements. While the Staff Specialist position is offered on a permanent basis, the Director/Head of Department role is offered on a fixed term basis for up to three years, which attracts a managerial allowance of $23,093 per annum.
The hospital is located on the south-eastern coastal region of New South Wales. It is a 211-bed hospital providing emergency care, medical, surgical, orthopaedic, paediatric, obstetrics and gynaecology and mental health services to the population of the Shoalhaven district.
The Emergency Department.
The Emergency Department is accredited for 6 months of training with ACEM. They see approximately 40 000 patients a year, with an admission rate of 20%, and approximately 25% paediatric case mix. They are a regional hospital that serves a large and diverse geographic area, with high numbers of complex geriatric and Aboriginal patients, making for interesting pathology. They refer into Wollongong Hospital, and have strong ties with the department there both clinically and academically.
There are tremendous opportunities to develop niche skills like teaching, simulation, ultrasound, process redesign and getting involved in improvement projects both in the hospital and the district. Supported by an excellent core of nursing staff, the staff specialists in their ED enjoy the challenges of supervising juniors and managing their own patients independently. Plenty of time to practise procedural skills.
They are open to family friendly options such as part time or flexible working schedules. This is also an ideal ED to develop management skills and expand on your work role beyond just clinical care. You will work 4 x 10hour shifts as a full-time worker and enjoy a good mix of acuity, pathology and paediatrics.
The Emergency Department is accredited by the Australasian College for Emergency Medicine (ACEM) for a total of 24 months of Advanced Emergency Registrar training. Further opportunities for teaching includes medical students from the local University of Wollongong Graduate School of Medicine through to the ACEM Emergency Medicine Certificate and Diploma.
The region is bordered by the mountains, coastal plains and over 100 magnificent beaches and this natural environment plays a central role in the quality of life of the local community. Commute times are short; childcare, housing and entertainment options are plentiful and affordable; and when you’re not at work, you can relax on some of the country’s best beaches, explore the stunning natural surroundings or enjoy the local dining and adventure scene – all contributing to a perfect work-life balance. An easy two hours’ drive from Sydney or three hours from Canberra, home could be overlooking the Shoalhaven River, a sea view in Kiama or a rural Kangaroo Valley property. Excellent and varied schooling options for those with children.
Applicants should have Fellowship or eligible for fellowship of the Australasian College of Emergency Medicine (ACEM) and/or other specialist recognition as provided for in the Staff Specialist (State) Award. Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District is committed to equal employment opportunity and embraces diversity and inclusion within its workforce. As such, people from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. This includes but is not limited to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, People with Disability, Women and People from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse backgrounds.
An eligibility list will be created for future Temporary and Permanent Full-Time and Part-Time positions.
Please note: Employment of a temporary visa holder may only occur if no suitable permanent resident or citizen of Australia has been identified for this position following suitable labour market testing. Criminal record checks will be undertaken on successful applicants. This position is designated as child-related employment and you will be required to obtain a Working With Children clearance from the Office of the Children’s Guardian.
Successful applicants to the role must provide certified documentation of vaccination history and pathology as part of their recruitment documentation. The applicant must be certified as compliant with http://www1.health.nsw.gov.au/pds/Pages/doc.aspx?dn=PD2018_009 before employment can commence.
- Specialist registration or eligible for specialist registration as a Medical Practitioner with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).
- Fellowship of the Australasian College for Emergency Medicine (FACEM) and/or equivalent specialist recognition.
- Evidence of continuing medical education and self-monitoring/audit practices consistent with the scope of practice requirements of the position.
- Proven capacity and/or experience in the provision of effective high quality services, demonstrated through successful clinical practice in an environment appropriate to the requirements of the position including evidence of participation in quality improvement activities relevant to the specialty.
- Demonstrated commitment to teaching with experience in teaching both undergraduate and post graduate students and other staff of the hospital.
- Demonstrate the skills and attitudes appropriate as a Senior Medical Practitioner including modelling a high standard of professional behaviour to junior medical staff.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and harmoniously with medical and other health services colleagues as part of a multi-disciplinary health care team and demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with patients, colleagues, and staff and to work as an effective member of the clinical team across multiple sites.
- Demonstrated experience in and commitment to research relevant to the role and needs of the Department.
If this particular opportunity isn’t for you, we have other roles both long and short-term all-over Australia, so please get in touch!
Alternatively if you have any friends or colleagues who might be interested, Charterhouse Medical offers a great referral bonus for whom you refer to ourselves
Why Choose Charterhouse Medical?
- As the Premier Domestic Medical Recruitment Agency, we will support you every step of the way to ensure your locum and permanent experience is as smooth and enjoyable as possible
- We currently work with the vast majority of both public and private hospitals, meaning we are able to offer a wide array of short and long term roles all over the country
- A dedicated personal consultant to cater to your specific needs
- As a partner of Qantas, we are the ONLY agency to offer Qantas Frequent Flyer Points for your initial shift and ongoing work with Charterhouse
For further information about this locum and other vacancies, please contact Amish for a confidential chat on 02 9641 2404 or email firstname.lastname@example.org