|Salary:||Dependent on experience|
|Posted:||8 months ago|
Position Purpose & About the Emergency Department
Ballarat Health Services (BHS) is a regional trauma service servicing a population of approximately 240,000 people and a land area extending from the western boundary of Melbourne to the South Australian border. The Emergency Department see approximately 55,000 patients per annum with a caseload comprising a broad mix of medicine from major trauma to primary care across all age groups including approximately 28% paediatric attendances. The ED has a defined Fast Track area and a separate 12 bed Short Stay Unit. Admission rate and patient acuity (by Australasian triage scale) has been increasing over the last few years. The position provides an opportunity to work on a full time or VMO basis and join a cohesive, motivated and innovative specialist group enjoying an attractive on-call and weekend roster. The successful candidate will be an energetic, innovative practitioner willing to be active in the ongoing organisational and clinical development of the Emergency Department at Ballarat Health Services. Clear emphasis will be placed on staff development and ED performance.
- Assume the responsibility of providing clinical care and supervision of junior medical staff of the Emergency Department and the Short Stay Unit as directed
- Be responsible for the clinical management of all patients under the practitioner’s care within the Emergency Department and Short Stay Unit
- Works collaboratively with the nursing team within ED and other hospital staff to achieve department key performance indicators working towards achieving the National Emergency Access Targets
- Engages with other hospital staff as required with respect to the patient management and related issues including the interface between Emergency and inpatient areas for patient flow
- Displays an ability to analyse situations and make appropriate decisions in a timely manner that meets the needs of patients, staff and the department
- Promotes and ensures a safe and healthy workplace for staff, patients, their families/carers
- Works collaboratively with community and regional health care partners
- Communicates information and expectations in a way that builds effective and collaborative working relationships with all disciplines and stakeholders internally and externally to BHS
- Works collaboratively with the other departments across the organisation around patient flow, service review and develop appropriate models of care
- Take reasonable steps to ensure the completion of Medical records so that they properly reflect clinical assessments, diagnoses, management plans, treatments undertaken and the outcomes of therapy and summaries of the purpose of communication with other health professionals and the coding of diagnoses, treatments, complications, co-morbidities, and procedures performed.
- Participation in the on call/out of hours roster of the Emergency Department as required
- Participation in the Hospital’s response to internal and external disasters as required
- Facilitate and participate in quality improvement, audit, and utilisation review activities applicable to Emergency Medicine
- Participate in the staff development program
- Actively promote and provide opportunities for education, training and development of Junior Medical staff and other health professionals
- Encourage and foster research and development pertinent to the Emergency Department
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of an environment in the Emergency Department that attracts and retains high quality staff at all levels and provides them with challenging and rewarding work
- Attend management and clinical meetings as required
- Leads a team environment which promotes engagement, clinical escalation and a positive workplace culture, opportunity for learning and development, safety and welfare of employees and patients
- Being a role model within the Organisation by providing professional leadership and upholding the values of BHS and clearly communicating clinical behavioural expectations
- Compliance with all BHS Policies and Procedures.
- Adherence to infection control policies and procedures as identified in the Ballarat Health Services Infection Control Manuals.
- Participation in the BHS integrated risk management and quality improvement systems by being aware of responsibilities to identify, minimise and manage risks and identifying opportunities for continuous improvement in your workplace through communication and consultation with managers and colleague
- You must ensure that the affairs of Ballarat Health Services, its patients, clients and staff remain strictly confidential and are not divulged to any third party except where required for clinical reasons or by law. Such confidentiality shall extend to the commercial and financial interests and activities of Ballarat Health Services.
- At BHS we recognise and respect diversity. Each person has a right to high-quality health care and opportunities regardless of diversity factors which might include aspects such as cultural, ethnic, linguistic, religious background, gender, sexual orientation, age, and socioeconomic status. Inclusiveness improves our service to our community and promotes engagement amongst BHS employees
- BHS is committed to a patient/client centred approach in the provision of health care and services, consistent with the BHS values, mission and vision. It is expected that you demonstrate the core values of patient centred care in every interaction with patients, carers and colleagues.
- Specialist registration or eligible for specialist registration as a Medical Practitioner with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).
- Fellowship or eligible for fellowship of the Australasian College of Emergency Medicine (ACEM)
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively within a team environment · Evidence of leadership in effective communication and promotion of the BHS Values in a multi-disciplinary team and a commitment to provision of exemplary clinical standards of practice
- Knowledge and evidence of applying quality improvement in the clinical environment
- Demonstrated commitment to the provision of teaching as well as providing learning opportunities to other staff and a commitment to continuing education and own professional development
- Demonstrated commitment to teamwork and collaboration
If this particular opportunity isn’t for you, we have other roles both long and short-term all-over Australia, so please get in touch!
Alternatively if you have any friends or colleagues who might be interested, Charterhouse Medical offers a great referral bonus for whom you refer to ourselves
Why Choose Charterhouse Medical?
- As the Premier Domestic Medical Recruitment Agency, we will support you every step of the way to ensure your locum and permanent experience is as smooth and enjoyable as possible
- We currently work with the vast majority of both public and private hospitals, meaning we are able to offer a wide array of short and long term roles all over the country
- A dedicated personal consultant to cater to your specific needs
- As a partner of Qantas, we are the ONLY agency to offer Qantas Frequent Flyer Points for your initial shift and ongoing work with Charterhouse
For further information about this locum and other vacancies, please contact Amish for a confidential chat on 02 9641 2404 or email email@example.com